Elegibility, Enrollment, and Changes
- Employees that work at least 30 hours per week in a full-time position.
- Faculty employees are eligible for benefits on their first (1st) day of work.
- Staff employees are eligible for benefits 60 days after their hire date.
- Children only, there is no coverage for a spouse.
- Dependent children of any age who are physically or mentally unable to care for themselves.
WHEN TO ENROLL
- Faculty employees are eligible for benefits on their first (1st) day of work, and must fill out an enrollment form(s) and submit to the HR Benefits office.
- Staff employees can sign up for benefits elections within 31 days after their probationary new hire date.
- Selections made will remain the same through December 31, 2022. Any employee that does not sign up for benefits during their initial eligibility period or during the open enrollment will not be able to elect coverage until the next annual open enrollment. Only exception will be if the employee has a qualifying life event.
MAKING CHANGES TO BENEFITS
- Once an employee makes their benefits selections, they cannot change benefits until the next annual open enrollment. Only exception will be if the employee has a qualifying life event.
- Qualifying life event include, but are not limited to:
- Marriage, divorce, or legal separation.
- Birth or adoption of a child.
- Death of a spouse or covered child.
- Change in spouse’s work status that affects their benefits.
- Gain or loss of other coverage.
- Change in child’s eligibility for benefits.
LIFE EVENT CHANGE
Changes must be made within 31 days of a qualifying life event.
Change requests after 31 days cannot be processed.
The employee will have to provide proof of the life event, i.e., marriage license or birth certificate.
Please refer to MIU’s Employee Handbook for full descriptions of the benefits offered. If you have any questions regarding your benefits, please call or email MIU’s Benefits office at (641) 472-7000, extension 4108 (firstname.lastname@example.org), or come to the Dreier building, room 236 on the second floor.