Health Emergencies

Guidelines For Medical Emergencies 

A medical emergency includes, among other things, a loss of consciousness, severe bleeding, or if the person has stopped breathing.

  • Call 911
  • Go to hospital emergency room: Jefferson County Health Center, 2000 S. Main Street, Fairfield, IA, (641) 472-4111
  • Call campus security (641) 472-1115 (or campus ext. 1115): They can transport an ill or injured person to the hospital. When you call, provide the name, location, and if possible the phone number of the person. Security will then call the Emergency Department at (641) 472-4111 to notify them that they are bringing an ill person from MIU to the Emergency Department. Campus Safety and Security will notify the Dean of Student Life, Dean of Faculty, or Human Resources Director as appropriate. Campus Safety and Security will also notify the MIU Campus Nurse by the beginning of the next business day.

MIU Health Care Handbook is available here


All of us can help prevent the spread of respiratory illnesses like COVID-19 by remembering to:

  • Stay at home if you are sick. Faculty will not require notes from medical providers for students who may have absences due to genuine respiratory or other illnesses and will implement flexible policies in their classrooms concerning make-ups.
  • Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. We will be increasing the availability of hand sanitizers throughout campus which regular use we encourage.
  • Cover your cough and sneeze with your elbow or sleeve.
  • Avoid touching your nose and mouth.
  • In light of new evidence, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) now recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies). CDC is additionally advising the use of simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others. Cloth face coverings fashioned from household items or made at home from common materials at low cost can be used as an additional, voluntary public health measure.

The current and updated information about MIU coronavirus measures, policies and procedures are available here 

Guidelines for Mental Illness and Treatment

Mental illness is widespread in our society and is every bit as real as physical illness.

  • Reach out for qualified medical help when you feel you need it — and we all need help at some point or another in our lives.
  • If you know someone who seems to need help, encourage them to get it — or reach out for professional help on their behalf.
  • Do not hesitate to take advantage of modern approaches to alleviating mental illness if they are professionally recommended to you.

For Mental Health Assistance go here

For MIU’s guidelines go here










Follow MIU