Missing Person Policy for Students Living On Campus
Emergency Contact Notification Procedure for Missing Students
- When a student is reported by anyone to Campus Security that the student cannot be located and there is concern for the well-being of the student, this student is immediately treated as a “missing person”.
- 24 hours after the student becomes a missing person,
- Campus Security will forward Missing Person Report to law enforcement.
- Student Life Department will notify
- the student’s designated contact person, or
- the student’s parent or guardian, if the student is unemancipated under the age of 18.
At initial on-campus registration, the Enrollment Center will require students to fill out a Personal Information Form, on which students will be advised that the following applies to all on-campus students:
- They have the option to identify a confidential contact person that MIU would contact 24 hours after the student is reported missing and provide confidential contact information for that person.
- For any student under the age of 18 who is not emancipated, the school is required to notify a parent or guardian 24 hours after the student is reported missing.
- MIU is required to notify law enforcement 24 hours after the student becomes a “missing person.”